Thursday, November 16, 2023

Are we part of the problem?

One of the biggest issues the United States faces today is extreme political polarization. From presidential elections to recent Supreme Court nomination hearings, our nation has become increasingly divided—and sharply so. It has been well documented that education—particularly the possession of a college degree—is one of the major factors that have caused this divide. That is, people holding a bachelor’s degree or higher have increasingly trended towards the Democratic party, while those who do not have moved toward the Republican party. This so called “diploma-divide” has been well documented by scholars and in the news. This polarization can perhaps be best seen by looking at the 2016 presidential election. Donald Trump won two-thirds of all white voters without a college degree, while Clinton won decisively among those with a college degree or higher. How, then, do first-generation voters fit into the picture?

I believe that first-generation immigrants are uniquely positioned to understand both sides of this sharp political divide. Many of us have grown up households where our families did not complete higher education before moving on to college ourselves. As we do not come from generations of college graduates, it naturally would make sense that this would be the case. Despite our unique position, why then does it seem like we are bystanders to such an important issue?

If you asked immigrant families for their views regarding education, it would be rare to find one that does not want their children to attend college. My family was no different. For me, the journey to college began in the eighth grade with the Specialized Highschool Admissions Test, or SHSAT, to obtain admission into one of New York City’s “Specialized High Schools.” These schools have become as reputable as many prestigious undergraduate institutions, with Stuyvesant, Bronx Science and Brooklyn Technical High School boasting national reputations. Every year, about 26,000 students take the test, but only about 4,000 students are accepted into these elite public high schools. After high school, I headed to college. Soon after that, I was on to law school. In contrast, my friends who came from families with a long history of college education did not have such pressure. College was simply an option, and they were more willing to pursue alternative options after high school.

It is no secret that many institutions of higher education are left leaning. I would say that I also am a left-leaning individual, and I would be lying if I denied that countless college classes, never mind the law school curriculum, have affected my worldview. Many, if not all my first-generation friends who completed college, consider themselves left leaning, even if they –like me—profess little interest in politics. I would not be surprised if their education influenced their thought processes in ways similar to mine. Despite our generally lefty political posture, if asked to name a first-generation friend who actively participates in avenues of change, I would not be able to do so. The fact that my friends are not interested in politics may simply be a function of my lack of interest in politics.

Broadly speaking, I think this may stem from the fact that my friends and I have such low levels of representation at the highest level. Currently, only 28% of the house and 12% of the senate identifies as Black, Hispanic, Asian American, American Indian, or multiracial. If we do not see people that come from the same backgrounds as us in positions of power, it is only natural for us to be more reluctant to voice our political opinions to our representatives.

Another source contributing to this issue may be input from our families. Asian Americans have long been viewed as a “model minority” because our culture teaches us to work hard and stay in our own lane. Since first generation families like mine have long viewed education both in high regard and as a means of upward mobility, I can see how difficult it can be to relate to those who vilify those with college degrees.

I can’t definitively say what is causing this bystander effect within the first-generation population, and I can only speak to my personal experience and what I have witnessed throughout the course of my life. What I can say, however, is that this divide is undoubtedly growing and will continue to be a huge issue for the foreseeable future. I only hope that as more students from immigrant families obtain higher education, more of us will become willing to actively participate in politics.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At November 20, 2023 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Anjali Mistry said...

First gen students are certainly better equipped to understand both sides. I know a large problem with left leaning politics is that it can seem very black and white. First gen students can understand nuance to a situation. For example: someone left leaning may be against a person that is a cop. A person that comes from a first gen background may see that a person choosing a career in law enforcement may do so because of the financial benefits that can be provided for their family. This is one of many examples that illuminate how first gen students can contribute to society in helping those around them understand that not everything is simple.

 
At November 20, 2023 at 11:52 PM , Blogger Justin Stucki said...

To add to Anjali's comment: I totally agree! What lacks in a lot of higher education spaces is diversity of perspective. I don't even want to call it viewpoint diversity. I admit myself, as as left-leaning person, enjoy being around people with similar views. However, what is especially strange in many higher education environments (especially here) is how similar people's backgrounds are. I feel like this leads to a lot of finger-pointing and "calling out" of perspectives that are deemed disagreeable. People should think about where others come from before passing judgment.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home