Friday, October 6, 2023

It's just a name

In Chinese culture, your name is given to you by your parents, and it usually expresses their hopes for your future. Each word has a different meaning. When combined, the meaning can change. Your surname, which is spoken first when stating your name, is very important, as it is a name passed down from many generations of your elders. My surname, Wong, is represented by the character 黄, which means yellow.

I was not given a Chinese name by my parents. Initially, I never questioned why this was the case, or even the significance of such an action. I brought it up to my parents a few times when I was younger, but they always told me that they simply did not see why it would be relevant, given that I was growing up in America. They always told me that it’s just a name, and that it was not such a big deal. Over time, I stopped asking because their answers never changed.

I would come to realize that this was just one of the many cultural chasms that existed between different generations of my family. In his interview with NPR, John Cho speaks about how the desire to absorb American culture led to differences with his immigrant parents growing up, but differences between me and my parents primarily stemmed from their desire that I not be overly immersed in my cultural background.

Like my fellow writer, Simran, my parents came to the United States give me a better life. I came eventually to realize that my parents also came to America in order not to be associated with China. While I did speak Chinese growing up, and my parents still use the language often, my mother in particular often purposefully avoided buying food products that were made in China. She also spoke in English to waiters at Chinese restaurants, though she often then reverted to using Chinese. I came to realize that she was not particularly proud of her upbringing and where she was raised. Surprisingly, I learned that these feelings are not uncommon among Chinese Americans, as reflected in this study, which shows that most Asian-Americans have favorable views of their hometowns, Chinese-Americans being the exception.

As I did not really need to use Chinese beyond interacting with family members, I didn’t think too much of these things. They did not impact my daily life until I came to law school. In my 1L year, my Chinese friends marveled at the fact that I did not have a Chinese name, as it was so crucial to their identity. Learning about Asia from them and ultimately being around them and using Mandarin more really made me reflect on my lack of a connection to my own ethnicity.

What made me reflect even more profoundly, however, was my grandfather’s funeral this past summer.



From the photo I took of the funeral wreath, half-covered by my finger, you can see that all my cousins have a Chinese name except for me. I remember sitting in the funeral home with my family members and honestly feeling ashamed that my name was written out in English. I was particularly ashamed given that some of my family members could not even speak English, let alone read or write it. While I did not fault my parents for their actions, I realized that I would need to take active steps to change this part of my life after that day.

What I now realize is that I would like to make my culture a bigger part of my life, and that the onus is on me, and me alone to make that happen. While I have not finalized my plans for next fall, I hope to study abroad at Tsinghua University in Beijing. If I get the opportunity to do so, I will continue to improve upon my understanding of my ethnic background, regardless of what my parents originally may have wanted for me.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At October 9, 2023 at 11:08 AM , Blogger Anjali Mistry said...

Justin, as someone with an ethnic name your post helped me to appreciate it. To this day my name is largely mispronounced and I no longer bother to correct people anymore. I used to resent my parents for not giving me a white name like "Ashley" or "Emily." I thought it would be so much easier for me to fit in at school if I could be identified by something they recognized. Now as an adult I love my name and I am thankful I have a name that is so popular in my motherland. I wish you the best of luck in connecting with your culture,

 
At October 27, 2023 at 2:32 PM , Blogger SC said...

My name was commonly mispronounced in school, similar to the sentiments expressed by Anjali. Although it was annoying to constantly correct the teacher on the first day of school, I do not think I ever really wished I had a different name. Despite my struggles in consolidating my cultural background and the American culture, I did not realize the power of my name until I was older. It’s strange that despite being so far away from Punjab, my name will always tie me back to that region. This is something I have appreciated more as I have gotten older. I hope you can find some way to connect with your culture.

 
At October 30, 2023 at 10:14 PM , Blogger Jecob Yang said...

I've always been shy to share my Korean name simply for the reason that it wasn't English. Your post has helped me appreciate my Korean name more, especially as it's been given to me by my grandfather. Korean tradition has always been grandparents giving their grandkids their names, which usually hold some sort of meaning. My dad always reminds me that my grandfather chose my name as it means, the light that shines from heaven. I feel a little more proud to have it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home