Tuesday, October 25, 2022

"Muslim Hannah Montana"

My father asks me if I'm doing okay during our weekly phone call. I respond in English to his questions asked in Urdu. The phone call consists of many pauses and moments of silence. We both struggle to find commonalities and keep the conversation going.  Although few words are spoken, these calls do display how much we care for each other. The silence reflects how we both know that our different upbringings resulted in our lack of understanding for one another but that at the end of the day we are family. 

A picture of my father and me back in the day.

I often think about how easy it is for me to get along with almost every walk of life from different ages, ethnicities, races, and personality types. Yet, I find myself struggling to have a simple conversation with my parents. My entire family immigrated from Pakistan when I was one years old. Although we left the physical land, my parents never left behind the culture. The rigid standards expected from my siblings and I to uphold both Pakistani and Islamic values often clashes with our desire and sometime necessity to assimilate with American culture. It is hard to share the instances of my life with my parents because I fear upsetting them or getting criticized. 

If both my siblings and I as well as my parents took a little more time understanding each other, maybe these conversations would be easier. Comedic actor, John Cho, reflected on the lack of cultural understanding between himself and his parents after he received a lashing for referencing a sassy, yet harmless quote from a Judy Blume book to his South Korean parents. I have experienced similar culture clashing incidents with my parents. One of the more prominent culture clashes was trying to be a trendy high-schooler while also trying to remain modest from an Islamic standard. However, this found to be very difficult especially when my parents would find things like long athletic tights to be too revealing. Most of the trendy outfits at the time included cropped tops, ripped jeans, shorts, and other types of clothing my parents would never approve of. However, I really enjoyed these fashion trends and wanted to feel comfortable in my clothing. I would leave my house in an outfit my parents would approve of and change in my car into the outfit I actually wanted to wear. This behavior coined the term, "Muslim Hannah Montana" onto me from my friends. 

It never felt good to me that I essentially had to hide a part of myself to my parents but it was only to protect them. I believe that my family has come to a mutual agreement to keep some parts of our lives to ourselves while sharing other parts with each other. The types of things I'll share with my parents are anything involving, school, work, Islam, and some instances of my social interactions with others. I am okay with this limited kind of conversation, and they are as well. 

Some of my friends who didn't grow up with immigrant parents or aren't immigrants themselves, think that the relationship I have with my parents is a bit odd. However, in situations where people you love come from such different cultural backgrounds, you sometimes may need to adapt your habits and behavior around those individuals as a form of respect. This adjustment in behavior is geared towards respecting my parent's culture and to sustain peace in the household. I also resonate with certain aspects of the culture as well. As Sarah Smarsh described in her book, Heartland, she did not leave one world to enter another but rather held them both simultaneously. I believe I have had the same experience juggling the drastically different cultures from my immigrant household and growing up in America and I strive to maintain this balance. 

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At November 2, 2022 at 2:02 PM , Blogger geovannaym said...

Thank you for your post Alina! I agree that sometimes the cultural divide between our parents and us (kids raised in the United States) can be complex to hold together. I admire your willingness to straddle both worlds because I view it as necessary to have my family in my life. That said, I also want to live as authentically as I can. I especially like that you mentioned respect. I do not mind altering my behavior if it will make my parents happy. To the extent I am still honoring the decisions I want to make, I can compromise.

 
At November 4, 2022 at 11:50 PM , Blogger Michelle Cruces Rodríguez said...

After reading your story I can only think how difficult it must be to grow up in a completely different environment from your parents' culture, especially when they are the ones who are educating you at home. I really admire your courage to be yourself and dare to dress and be the way you wanted to be, and I also admire your maturity at such a young age to understand your parents and not argue with them about it. Thank you for sharing this with us!

 
At November 6, 2022 at 3:47 PM , Blogger Riki said...

This is such an interesting perspective and story. I feel like I grew up the exact opposite. I don't come from a family who immigrated and my parents were also teenage parents when they had me. Because of this, both of them are genuine friends to me and I can talk to them about literally everything. Often times, when I wear revealing clothing my mom asks me where I got it from so she can get it too! I understand how hard it must be to feel like you have to caution around certain aspects of your life to maintain peace. I also love that you rebelled enough to still feel comfortable in whatever social setting you were in. As we just talked about in class this week, often times immigrant students feel a lot of pressure to maintain certain ties to their home places but also to establish other ties to America.

 
At September 25, 2023 at 12:32 PM , Blogger SC said...

I really admired your courage to be yourself! I feel like I was in a similar situation with my parents growing up. My parents were raised in a strict Indian household. They tried to apply the same standards to my siblings and me in an American setting. For example, I could not go to my friend’s house, and I was not allowed to wear certain clothing items. I usually did not question what my parents said. I was only trying to fulfill my task of being a “dutiful daughter.”

It was not until I was older that I felt confident to have a dialogue with my parents. As the eldest daughter, the conservations with my parents also affected my siblings, eventually granting them more freedom than I had at their age. In some ways, I envy my younger siblings. I wish I had an older sister who could have advocated on my behalf.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home