Wednesday, September 28, 2022

How my parents gave me an anxiety disorder.

Ever since I can remember, my parents praised me for being smart. Among their three children, my older brother was the athletic one, I was the brainy one, and my younger sister was a little bit of both. Because of that, my parents made an unspoken agreement to pressure me to do well in school. They also reserved praise for when I succeeded.

Don’t get me wrong: my parents put plenty of academic pressure on all three of us. My brother got a lot of serious talks and exaggerated lectures about the dangers of neglecting his studies. But I was always going to be the breadwinner of the family, the highest educated, the one to financially take care of my parents when they retire.


My parents often reminded me that I have a better life than they or their parents did. They made sure I knew that I come from generations of poor and uneducated family and that I had to be the one to break the cycle. If I didn’t, all those generations of suffering would be for nothing.


I was fine with the pressure and the selective allotment of love because I was good at school. I was placed in the highest math level every year. I played four musical instruments. I finished high school with a 4.67 GPA. And it was all worth it because every time I came home with an A, my mom would give me a big hug and tell me she was proud of me.


Starting in my second year at UCLA, things got a little less fine. I was at an elite school where the competition was intense. Even worse, my Economics major was curved to a B-, so to get the A’s my parents wanted, I couldn’t simply perform above average—I had to excel. I begged my parents to let me switch to an easier major, but their answer was always the same, “you must major in something practical.”


I feel the pressure immensely. If I failed at having a better life, then all my parents’ hard work and suffering was in vain. How could they forgive me?


It was at that time that I started to get panic attacks. I’m talking about the kind of panic attacks where time slows, the room dissolves, and it feels like you're going to die because you can’t get a single breath in. The kind that lasts for 20 minutes and takes hours to recover from.


At the time, I didn’t realize why I had suddenly started getting these panic attacks. There were no rational thoughts going on in my head when they were happening—it felt purely physical. I was powerless and weaponless whenever they came.


It wasn’t until I started learning more about mental health from friends that I realized I was in a pressure cooker. Years and years of ignoring the amount of pressure I felt allowed it to grow to an insurmountable level. I was so tightly wound by the fear of failing academically that I literally thought I would die if it happened.


The anxiety became unbearable. I couldn’t get myself to pick up my textbook to study because I was so afraid that I wouldn’t understand the writing on the page. My grades tanked. Ironically, that was the push to get me to finally admit that I needed help. 


I’ll never forget my parents’ reaction when I told them I wanted to start therapy. The guilt was immediate: “You think we’re bad parents?” My dad encouraged me to try to tough it out: “Your generation is so soft these days.”


I was diagnosed with a rather serious anxiety disorder. I don’t blame my parents for the way they pressured me to succeed academically. They just wanted the best for me. There’s also something to be said about how maybe it worked: my brother became a software engineer, I’m on track to become a lawyer, and my sister is applying to medical school.


Something that helps me a lot is knowing I’m not some kind of inferior anomaly who still needed help despite having a “better life” than my family before me. Studies show that Asian/Pacific Islander and Latino children of immigrants have significantly higher rates of mental illness than children of non-immigrant parents. Asian Americans are also the least likely to seek help for their mental illness. For me, this struggle is amplified because I am also first generation.


Seeing these statistics, I am proud of how I handled my mental illness. I mean, I still struggle with anxiety every day, but I think a lot of people who went through what I did might have dropped out (not that I would blame them). I'm just hoping that I can hold it together through law school, with at least a little bit of my sanity left.


Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At October 2, 2022 at 10:55 PM , Blogger NoriyaB said...

Thank you so much for sharing this, Ryan! It is so interesting how so many first-generation students feel so much pressure to be the providers for their family once they "make it." That really resonates with me because I always feel like I owe it to my family to support them because of how much they've sacrificed to get me through higher ed and law school.

Also, I think your journey to better understanding your mental health is so inspiring, and speaks volumes to your perseverance!

 
At October 24, 2022 at 2:00 PM , Blogger Jason Wong said...

I think success to our parents is very much tied to the opportunity that being educated provides. My parents also kept a lot of pressure on me and there are times where I apply pressure on myself. With this kind of pressure, there is not really too much opportunity to take care of our mental health. The stigma that surrounds mental health from our parent's generation is such a powerful tool that keeps us from being aware of our mental health or even being able to take care of ourselves.

 
At September 12, 2023 at 5:50 PM , Blogger Justin Wong said...

I appreciate you sharing this. Like Jason has said, my parents also put a lot of pressure on me as a child which did not quite lead to the same result as your post, but it certainly affected my relationship with them. Your post gave me great inspiration for my own and I think that mental health is a topic that is certainly not addressed enough in the Asian-American community.

 
At September 17, 2023 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Jecob Yang said...

This is something I greatly resonate with and can't stress enough how Asian parents simply overlook mental illness. I've held a lot of resentment towards my father since he attended university majoring in music. My grandparents were well off enough that he didn't have to worry about making money, but my parents being immigrant, small business owners, that pressure is placed on me. The pursuit towards my dreams will just have to wait until I'm retired.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home